Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Thoughts from the New Guy…

As one of the newest employees of
APTech Group, I find myself trying to understand everything from where to park my car each day at the office; to the acid/base reaction that makes our solid water treatment products possible.

It can be overwhelming being the newest person on staff. It took my 11 year old daughter to put everything I am doing back into perspective. A couple weeks ago, when I got home from work she greeted me with a big hug. She said she talked about me today at school. So I am assuming she was extolling my virtues about being a Dad. A Dad who understands family/ work balance. A Dad who rarely misses a soccer game or even a practice, demands family dinner time, and once a week family game night. Patting myself on the back a bit, I guess.

But none of that comes out of her mouth. “Dad, I am very proud of your company”. What? My Job? Okay, so she is going to say “your hard work pays for the things we have and the upcoming vacation to Disney”. I get it and that is very nice to appreciate the things we have.

What she actually says is “Dad, I talked about how your stuff in a jar (that's 11 year old speak for our innovative, sustainable, solid water treatment chemicals) can help the environment”. She explained to her class during a science discussion about the environment that my company can help reuse water, reduce pollution in the air and they (Dad’s company) even helps to drill wells in Africa for people who have no water.

I hope the teacher does not ask me to come in and explain the way a well is drilled! APTech Group does support charity: water with a donation for every case of product we sell, but there are no drill bits in the warehouse.

What everyone should be proud of is the commitment to the environment with each installation of APTech’s solid water treatment solution for cooling towers and boilers. To make a difference on this planet, it has to be a broad based effort making small behavior changes that, when performed collectively, can substantially decrease environmental impact.

If one company converts 1,000 tons of cooling to solid water treatment chemicals, it can reduce carbon dioxide levels equivalent to parking your car for 6 months. And, if everyone in America switched to solids it would be equivalent to taking 52,000 cars off the road.

I am very proud of what APTech Group is doing – as is my daughter evidently.

Posted on behalf of Marc Beller

No comments:

Post a Comment